2013-08-03

Château de Vincennes : 2013-08

I visited the Château de Vincennes in early August and it was a great place to see. The first stop was the Sainte Chapelle. There is another Sainte Chapelle in Paris which is renown for its stained glass and it is worth seeing. However, when I entered the Sainte Chapelle at the Château de Vincennes, it was most impressive! I tried to capture how striking the glass is - the color, the simplicity and the sheer amount of glass. What added to the impressiveness was there aren't any chairs or pews inside. Just light stone and light.

One of the several large windows and a shot of the church's exterior

 I thought these two panoramic shots turned out very well.

This is a shot of le donjon. Yes, it can be translated to dungeon, but it's also a "keep" meaning it was the last / safest place to go if under attack. You can see where it and the church are situated on their website. Just click on the area(s) of interest. I marked the ticket on the left to show the price in 2013.

 Above: another shot of the donjon and the courtyard
Below: a view from the south showing the donjon and the Sainte Chapelle
I think the picture from the south is fantastic - and it was the same impression I had when I arrived at the château. The buildings are imposing, the sky was amazing, and I rode a bike...great visit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the show m p